Sunday 23 August 2020

The Batman - Teaser thoughts



Now that the teaser for upcoming DC blockbuster The Batman came out, I thought I'd share my thoughts on it. I won't go through any deep analysis here. There'll be plenty of those around. Just my initial thoughts. In a nutshell: It looks good.

They're not trying to copy The Dark Knight or go all Marvel on this one. No shared universe stuff. Thank God it seems to lack the social justice element as well. I don't want to see a movie about how evil Donald Trump is. I'm sick of hearing about how everyone except white men are oppressed in the USA. When I want those, I can just open my Twitter. Any film about Batman should be all about Gotham City, just like Lord of the Rings movie should be all about Middle-Earth. The only politics should be about their worlds

The Batman seems to be giving us exactly what we want. That's the same thing any good superhero movie should do: Tell the story. In the end it's an escapist fantasy. Nothing more, nothing less.



THE BATTINSON


I never had problem wit Robert Pattinson as Batman. Maybe, because I didn't care about Twilight one way or another. They're just mindless garbage for teenage girls, the way the Transformers series is to boys. To me he's still Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter. But after this, he's The Batman. In this he looks and sounds really great! Though, I have to wonder: Did he kill a Man??

This version is an angry young version of Batman. It looks like his arc is to beat his own brutal thirst to avenge his parents and rise as the Hero of Gotham. Well, I hope that's the story.

To the familiar question: "What are you?" His answer is a funny twist: "I'm Vengeance". It's a nod to the animated voice Kevin Conroy's legendary proclamation: "I am Vengeance. I am The Night. I am Batman!"

So, if his character arc works, Robert Pattinson will work. The only thing that makes or breaks his character is whether or not he works as Bruce Wayne.


RIDDLES IN THE DARK...


The Riddler really is the right villain for this and seems to finally get the upgrade he deserves. So far Frank Gorshin's iconic portrayal In the 60s TV-show is still my favorite version of Riddler. The Animated Series had an ok version, but compared to all the other villains in this show, though his three episodes were good, they never really stood up.

Jim Carrey was just playing Jim Carrey in Batman Forever. His character worked as an antagonist in the story, but nothing more. The Arkham game series really didn't help either, especially the final installment, The Arkham Knight, which really made me hate him as a character. I bet I'm not the only one!

This movie makes him creepy as Hell! Speaking of Hell, it's interesting, that his color theme is red instead of green. It seems to fit the tone.



FORGETTABLE... OR PURRRRFECT?


Catwoman seems working, but didn't really stick out, the way Michelle Pfeiffer did In Batman Returns. Anne Hathaway from The Dark Knight Rises did her role in the story, but had nothing really memorable. So far, I think the only really iconic Catwoman is the Eartha Kitt version from the 60s TV-show!

But this nameless feline fatale is so far from the modern Catwoman, it might as well be entirely different character. If Zoe Kravitz can fix that and has some memorable moments or lines as Selina Kyle, that will be... Purrrrfect.


WELCOME TO HELL GOTHAM


What really got me is the world. Gotham City seems to be exactly the nightmare I imagined. It's dark, dirty and doesn't try to look too realistic. It's a world where wealthy socialites can't step out of a movie theater without getting shot in front of their son.

A world, where failed comedians turn to crime and vicious gangsters start wearing war paint, before moving from killing for business to killing for fun. It's the world that needs Batman.

And I can't wait to dwell through it!

Thanks for reading!

-Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment